Saturday, July 7, 2012

Say Cheese! Cheesy Mac 'n Cauliflower

     My husband's new endocrinologist has suggested my spouse eat less carbohydrates and more protein, low-carb veggies and fats.  Needless to say, my guy has had no problems snacking on nuts and cheese, lots of nuts and cheese.  Though I, too, am cutting down on carbohydrates I still want to enjoy some, especially with my summer grilling.  My post for Cheesy Broccoli Potatoes was a result of these new dietary guidelines, some carbs (potatoes) but lots of vegetables (a crown of broccoli) along with the Powderhorn Potatoes (spaghetti squash).  I had also tried to do a macaroni and cheese with cauliflower but it was not very good...the first time.  So I tried again and this time we loved it!  I chose cauliflower as a pasta stand-in since it is so mild tasting but broccoli could certainly be substituted - you will lose the camouflage factor though.  Hope you give it a try!
Cheesy Mac 'n Cauliflower with crispy Panko topping


Cheesy Mac 'n Cauliflower

Ingredients: 

  • A generous pound of cauliflower, sliced and cut into approximately one-inch pieces 
  • 3 ounces uncooked orecchiette pasta  
  • 2 teaspoons butter
  • A large shallot or half a medium onion, minced
  • A clove of garlic, peeled and lightly smashed
  • 2 teaspoons light butter, divided
  • 4 teaspoons all-purpose flour
  • Pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
  • Salt and black pepper to taste
  • 1 cup fat-free milk
  • 1 ounce shredded very sharp cheddar cheese (I used white, hence the pale color)
  • 1/2 teaspoon White Cheddar Popcorn Seasoning (I used Target's Archer Farms)
  • 1 teaspoon ground yellow mustard
  • 1/4 teaspoon paprika      
  • 1/4 cup Ian's Panko breadcrumbs
  • 1/4 teaspoon each of garlic and onion powders
  • Pinch of cayenne or hot paprika

Putting it Together:

     Melt 1 teaspoon light butter (I use light LO'L to save Points) in 8-10 inch skillet; add Panko, garlic and onion powders, pinch of cayenne and salt and pepper to taste.  Cook over medium heat for just a few minutes or until golden brown.  If you are not going to bake your finished dish in the oven, let the crumbs get nice and toasty brown.  Remove from pan and set aside.  Wipe out pan to re-use.
     Put on water for pasta - don't forget to salt it.  When the water comes to a boil add the orecchiette and cook until al dente.  Rinse and reserve but don't hold for an extended amount of time.  Rinse and trim cauliflower (I used half of a huge head, about a pound).  Cut the head through in slices about one inch apart, lay down the sections and cut them into 1-inch cubes/pieces.  I placed the cauliflower in a Ziplock Zip N Steam (BPA-free) microwave bag, all ready to zap when the sauce is nearly done.  You may steam the cauliflower but whatever your method do not overcook - should be crisp-tender. 
     Melt the 2 teaspoons butter and 1 teaspoon light butter in skillet, add minced onion/shallot and lightly smashed whole garlic clove.  Sprinkle with red pepper flakes and 1/4 teaspoon salt; cook until onion/shallot is softened.  Remove garlic clove.  Sprinkle mixture with flour, paprika and dry mustard; stir well and cook for a couple of minutes, pressing out lumps.  Slowly pour in milk, stirring constantly; mixture will thicken in just a few minutes.  Stir in cheese and cheese powder.  I saw the popcorn seasoning (I had bought it for microwave air popped) when I pulled out my crushed red pepper and thought, "Hmmm..."  I did not want to use more Points for more cheese so I tasted the seasoning and there you go - a little seemed to intensify the cheesiness just enough.  Taste and correct the seasoning, if necessary.
For more sauce tips, check out previous Posts
     Combine the al dente orecchiette (this ear-shaped pasta has a great texture and was much better suited than the fiber-plus elbows in my original attempt) and steamed cauliflower in a large bowl, pour sauce over and gently stir.  You may keep dish warm, covered on the stove top (sprinkle on browned Panko just before serving) - or spray baking dish with cooking spray, spoon in mixture, top with Panko and place in a preheated 375 degree oven for 5-20 minutes, checking to make sure crumb topping does not burn.


Cheesy Mac 'n Cauliflower, a very satisfying side!


     This recipe made approximately 4 cups, or 8 generous 1/2 cup servings.  The recipe totaled 23 Points as per WW Recipe Builder or 3 Points per 1/2 cup serving.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds really good! I will make it.
    Linda from WW

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda, I hope you like it. I was pretty tickled about the cheese popcorn flavoring and I bet I'll find more uses for it! See you next meeting!

    ReplyDelete