Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Poppin Fresh...



Lemon Pepper Popover
     I was trying to come up with a carb/starch to have with my Sole-Wrapped Asparagus Bundles recently and realized that I hadn't made popovers for months.  When it comes to muffins or other quick breads I often end up with a less appealing version after my Point-lowering changes but not so with popovers - I get the unadulterated real deal for 3 points per popover!  For those of you not familiar with these yummy poufs (crispy and light balloons with an egg batter interior), popovers have few ingredients, including not too much fat and no sugar - so they are an indulgence that won't break your Points bank.  Keep in mind that there is a price to pay since they cannot be made ahead of time and they do not keep well.  
     This recipe (which is pretty basic) came to me some years back from a magazine in a waiting room and it has always turned out so I hope it works well for you, too.  For plain popovers just omit the lemon zest and pepper.    


Lemon Pepper Popovers (makes 6)

Ingredients:

  • 3/4 cup whole milk (I used nonfat)
  • 1/4 cup water (I used nonfat - LOL)
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
  • 1 tablespoon unsalted butter (I use salted)
  • 1 teaspoon butter or canola butter blend
  • 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper (preferably)
You will need a 6-cup popover pan or a heavy muffin pan


Putting it Together:

     Preheat oven to 375 F with rack in lower third - I don't recommend using convection for this recipe and I know this from personal experience!  Divide the teaspoon of butter between the 6 cups of the popover pan, let soften and use a brush to grease the cups; set aside. 

     Whisk together the milk, water, eggs and zest in a bowl (I use a spouted bowl to make it easier to pour batter into the pan), then whisk in melted tablespoon of butter.  Add flour, salt, pepper and whisk until the batter is combined but still lumpy.

     Pour batter into buttered popover cups (I give the batter a few stirs while pouring to keep the pepper and zest from settling), dividing as equally as possible; sprinkle tops with a bit of additional pepper.  

     Bake for approximately 40 minutes or until puffed and golden; remove from oven and cut a 1/2 inch long slit in the top of each popover and bake for 5 more minutes.  Serve immediately and enjoy!  

     If you do not have a popover pan you can use a muffin pan.  This recipe for 6 popovers would make 9 smaller muffin pan popovers.  Bake about 30 minutes before cutting the slits.  

    
The total in my Recipe Builder is 20 Points for 6 popovers, 3 Points per popover.   

No comments:

Post a Comment